Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ben on his first day of school


Ben is now a school boy. After spending a good portion of the summer discussing school behavior, school rules, school safety, and basically school everything, the day arrived. Ben had his shots, a new haircut, a new backpack, a couple new outfits. You would have thought he was beyond ready. The night before the first day, Brent gave Ben a blessing. We laid out Ben's outfit for the morning. Everything was ready. The next morning when I went to wake Ben up, I asked him if he remembered what was happening that day. He could not, for anything, come up with that day's special event. When I finally gave him a hint, he looked at me, as if shocked, and said, "You mean today I'm going to school?" I'm beginning to wonder why I try.
As a family, we walked Ben across the street to the school. He was so excited at this point. I could feel the vessels thickening in my neck, and I knew I wasn't up for a hysterical sob fest, so I kissed him good-bye, and watched him find his name tag at the table. I quickly made my way for the exit with misty eyes, realizing that this moment was the beginning to the end. Life's changes sure do bring a lot of anxiety and growth.

No comments: